Communique issued at the conclusion of the meeting of the governors of southern Nigeria in the Government House, Enugu, Enugu State, on Thursday, 16th September 2021
The Nigerian Southern Governors’ Forum at its meeting of today, Thursday, 16th September 2021 held in the Government House, Enugu, Enugu State reviewed the state of the nation and the progress of implementation of the decisions reached in her previous meetings and further resolved as follows:
1. Expressed satisfaction with the rate at which the States in the Southern Nigeria are enacting or amending the Anti- Open Grazing Laws which align with the uniform template and aspiration of Southern Governors and encouraged the States that are yet to enact this law to do so expeditiously.
2. Encouraged the full operationalization of already agreed regional security outfits; which would meet, share intelligence and collaborate, to ensure the security and safety of the region.
3. Reaffirmed its earlier commitment to fiscal federalism as resolved at the inaugural meeting of the Forum held on Tuesday, 11th May 2021 at Asaba, Delta State and emphasized the need for the Southern States to leverage the legislative competence of their respective State Houses of Assembly as well as representation in the National assembly to pursue its inclusion in the Nigerian Constitution through the ongoing constitutional amendment.
4. Following from paragraph “3” above, the meeting resolved to support the position that the collection of VAT falls within the powers of the States.
5. Expressed satisfaction with the handling of issues around the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) and ownership of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by the larger Nigerian Governors’ Forum.
6. Reiterated their earlier position that the next President of Nigeria must come from the Southern part of Nigeria in line with politics of equity, justice and fairness.
His Excellency Arakunrin Oluwarotimi O. Akeredolu, SAN
Governor, Ondo State and Chairman, Southern Governors’ Forum
His Excellency Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Uguwanyi, Governor, Enugu State
His Excellency Gboyega Oyetola, Governor, Osun State
Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa,
Governor, Delta State
His Excellency Babajide Sanwo-Olu Governor, Lagos State
Sen. Douye Diri,
Governor, Bayelsa State
His Excellency Udom Emmnuel Governor, Akwa Ibom State
Governor, Rivers State
His Excellency Prince Dapo Abiodun, Governor, Ogun State
Hon. Shaibu Philip, Dep. Governor, Edo State
His Excellency Prof. Placid Njoku Dep. Governor, Imo State
Sir Ude Oko Chukwu,
Dep. Governor, Abia State
His Excellency Otunba Bisi Egbeyemi Dep. Governor, Ekiti State
Dr. Eric Kelechi Igwe, Dep. Governor, Ebonyi State
His Excellency Rauf Olaniyan Dep. Governor, Oyo State
Prof. Ivara Ejemot Esu
Dep. Governor, Cross River State