Markets in Abuja are not completely shut. Please carefully read the Hon Minister’s statement, those selling essential items like food stuff and pharmaceutical stores are are allowed to operate.
REMARKS BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF THE FCT, MALAM MUHAMMAD MUSA BELLO AT THE PRESS BRIEFING ON COVID 19 IN THE FCT.
Gentlemen of the Press,
- COVID 19 as a full blown global pandemic has reached every corner of the world and Nigeria has not been spared with 36 confirmed cases in the country.
- The FCT has so far recorded 6 confirmed cases and one fatality.
- An Emergency Response Team has been put in place to tackle COVID 19 in all ramifications in the FCT.
- It must however be mentioned that containing the virus still depends very heavily on personal choices.
- That is why it remains critical for every citizen to follow laid down health and safety protocols as established by the relevant health authorities.
- We cannot emphasize enough how dangerous this disease is and that is why the mandatory closure of all schools and restriction of gatherings of not more than 50 people was issued last week.
- The FCT Administration hereby appreciates the leadership of Christian and Muslim organisations for their support and cooperation in ensuring compliance to this directive.
- As part of implementing the social distance measures, the FCTA hereby reiterate the suspension of all social gatherings in public parks, gardens, bars, night clubs, event centers football viewing centers amongst others until further notice.
- In order to better manage cases of infection the FCTA will work closely with the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital to expand the capacity of the current Isolation and treatment Center to accommodate more patients by providing the essential facilities
- The Zuba General Hospital will also be converted into an Isolation and Treatment Center in order to absolve more patients should the need arise.
- In order to contain this virus and curtail its spread, the FCT Administration has taken the decision to enforce a stay at home policy for all its civil servants on grade level 01-12 from Wednesday, 25th March, 2020 till further notice.
- However, all workers from grade level 01-12 on essential duty such as security, health, medical, environmental protection and emergency services are exempted from the stay-at-home policy.
- Markets in the FCT are to be shut to traders except those who sell essential commodities like food items, groceries and pharmaceuticals. All other traders should stay at home until further notice.
- Residents are enjoined to monitor the news channels often as updates on the FCT’s response will be broadcast periodically.
- Residents of the FCT are also enjoined to remain calm, avoid panic buying and continue to obey all laid down measures.
- Together, we can defeat COVID 19.
- Thank you.