Gov. Obiano denies his convoy was attacked by hoodlums

Spread the love

The governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano has denied reports that his convoy was attacked by gunmen today in Ihiala Local Government Area of the state.

Speaking in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. James Eze, he said the report in the media alleging that his convoy was attacked is “false”.

He said: “We wish to inform the general public that the report is a blatant lie without a shred of truth in it.

“The fact is that when some gunmen engaged security operatives in a shootout in Ihiala today, Governor Obiano was attending a pre-scheduled political rally in Ogbaru Local Government Area along with Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, the standard bearer of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in the November 6, 2021, gubernatorial election in the state.

“The Ogbaru campaign was highly successful with a large turnout of party members and supporters who came to reassure Prof. Soludo and APGA of their support in the coming election.

“There was not a single incident of violence in the campaign venue and its surroundings and Governor Obiano and his fellow party men and women all went home peacefully after the rally.

“The report that Governor Obiano’s convoy was attacked is obviously false and should be disregarded by well-meaning members of the society.

“Governor Obiano deeply regrets the shootout at Ihiala today and the attendant loss of lives.

“He calls on all the politicians involved in the ongoing electioneering campaign in the state to join hands with him in calming the political temperature of the state in order to ensure a peaceful and fair election on November 6, 2021,” concluded the statement.

News.band had earlier reported that gunmen suspected to be members of the Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) attacked an APGA political rally at Odata Secondary School in Ihiala, Ihiala local government area or Anambra State.

According to multiple reports, APGA was getting ready to hold a political rally in the area when the gunmen in a commando style invaded the area and attacked civilians.

A source also claimed that Governor Obiano was in the area with his convoy when the gunmen struck.

The source said: “The governor’s convoy was held for about one hour, while gunshot was ratcheting everywhere in the area.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *