Army dismisses three soldiers in Borno over kidnapping

Breaking News
Share

The Nigerian Army on Sunday said it has dismissed three soldiers arrested among a kidnapping gang in the outskirts of Maiduguri.

Maj.-Gen. Olusengun Adeniyi, the Theater Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, disclosed this while handing over the dismissed soldiers to the police in Maiduguri.

Mr Adeniyi disclosed that the soldiers were arrested with 22 other suspects by a joint patrol team in the early hours of Sunday at a building in the outskirts of Maiduguri.

He said that the soldiers were initially deployed to the Operation Lafiya Dole, but engaged in nefarious activities such as kidnapping, armed robbery, killings and cultism.

Mr Adeniyi added that the erring soldiers were dismissed in accordance with the military procedures, warning that the army would not condone criminals in its fold.

“The three soldiers were caught among the evil group, there was further resistance and attempt to escape, so we tied them up with ropes because handcuffs were not available.

“In addition; we could not put violent men that do these kind of crimes into a police van to take to the station, there will be breakout on the road and we know what would happened.

“We have to restrain them thoroughly with ropes before we take them and handover to the police.

“The Acting GOC, 7 Division, Brig.-Gen. AK Ibrahim, has conducted military procedures. We do not keep armed robbers, kidnappers and cultists in the army, they had been dismissed.

“We gathered here to witness their handover to the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) for civic action, they are dismissed, and they are no longer soldiers of the Nigerian Army.

“Our code of conduct is strict and high, no evil soldier will be allowed to serve in the army,” Mr Adeniyi said.

The commander called on the people to be vigilante and report suspicious persons, movement and activities to security agencies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *