Abuja Market Explosion: Death toll rises to 7

Spread the love

Death from the Abuja market’s fire explosion on Friday evening has now risen to 7.

The explosion, from a kerosene tank kiosk opposite Kubwa modern market in Abuja, happened around 7pm Friday.

After the powerful explosion, the kerosene tanker jumped from its base on the ground and landed on a nearby building’s roof.

The location is close to a junction, which is always crowded either by passersby or those selling and buying from the evening roadside market which usually takes place opposite the main market after it was closed down.

An eyewitness, Ebuka Okonkwo, who said he rushed to the scene immediately from his home after noticing the explosion, said he saw many people falling over one another, just as they were trying to escape.

The exploded kerosene tank, landed on top of a building close to the scene of the incident

“It was thereafter that I saw human beings burning, among which was a woman with her own baby,” he said.

A correspondent who visited the scene of the incident on Saturday morning, said at least, seven shops attached to houses by the road site have been affected by the fire.

A hospital official, at the Kubwa General Hospital where some of the victims were taken to, said seven bodies have been deposited inside the facility’s morgue.

Echefo Boniface, who was sighted mourning along with other relatives in front of the mortuary, said he lost five people from his village of Abajah, in Nwangele Local Government Area, Imo State.

He described the deads as a mother with her baby, a pregnant woman, and two girls of about ten and sixteen years old, respectively.

He said one of them was referred to the Abuja national hospital, but died while on transit to the facility.

Aliyu Sabo, a fruit seller not too far from the scene of the accident, said he fled after the powerful sound.

He however said three people from his home town of Bodinga in Sokoto State were taken to the popular burn healer in Suleja where they were attended to last night before they were taken to the motor park on Saturday morning on their way to Sokoto.

It was gathered that nine people who suffered various degrees of burn injury were still in hospital during the visit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *