YOU CAN’T READ A MUCH MORE WELL WRITTEN STATEMENT THAN THIS!!!
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF A MEETING OF SOUTHERN KADUNA POLITICAL SUMMIT GROUP HELD IN KAFANCHAN, KADUNA STATE, ON SATURDAY NOVEMBER 17, 2018
Members of the Southern Kaduna Political Summit Group, drawn from various ethnic nationalities in the area, met on November 16 – 17, 2018 in Kafanchan to appraise socio-political and economic realities of our people and the state. The major aim of the meeting was to seek for ways and means of ensuring that Southern Kaduna supports only candidates that have the interest of our people and the overall wellbeing of the state in the next gubernatorial and presidential elections.
Participants at the meeting recalled the injustice and premeditated killings of Southern Kaduna natives by herdsmen, with attendant decimation of our communities by murderers that have left our people desolate and threaten the future of our people. The Summit Group lamented the total neglect of the zone by both the state and the Federal Government in terms of projects, security, political appointments, among others, in the past three and half years. Members at the meeting also sought to find out why governorship ticket has turned out a mirage in the nation’s two dominant political parties for Southern Kaduna indigenes ahead of 2019 polls, among other important matters.
At the end of the meeting, the following resolutions were reached:
1) Southern Kaduna Political Summit Group deprecated the refusal of Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai to engage on developmental projects for our people. Participants condemned the divisive disposition of Governor el-Rufai to whip up negative sentiments that are not congenial to the unity of our state across religious divide.
2) On the issue of Muslim-Muslim ticket as adopted by governor El Rufai and the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kaduna State, the Southern Kaduna Political Summit Group posited that it is the constitutional right of the governor to pick his running mate. The summit is therefore unperturbed by his choice of Dr Mrs Hadiza Balarabe, who hails from Sanga Local Government Area, as his running mate. The summit happily notes that if his choice for a Muslim to run on the ticket with him was done in bad faith with a view to creating religious dissension and infuse division of our people, he has failed.
3) In view of the above, the meeting affirmed that Southern Kaduna people identify with Dr Balarabe as our sister and uphold her professional achievements with great pride. However we note that the Guber Election of 2019 in Kaduna State has nothing to do with her as a person, her origin or religion; rather the election will be based upon the record of performance of the Flag bearer of her Party in the past three and a half years and his disposition towards the Southern Kaduna people. Southern Kaduna electorates will scrutinise his achievements and style of governance in the past three and a half years and decide whether he deserves to be rewarded with another term in Office.
4) Southern Kaduna People, especially the elite, should stop being mere observers/critics/commentators, but should show interest and take active roles in politics by registering as members of any political party of their choice, especially at the grassroots level to actively participate in deciding candidates for elections. In a situation where grassroots politics is left to few hands that are susceptible to the manipulations of a few wealthy individuals, the meeting averred, that the hope of getting patriotic politicians into elected offices will continue to be dominated by unseen economic bulldogs who are determined to impose their cronies in the corridors of power. To this end, participants called for intensive mobilisation of the electorate in our various communities to ensure our people fully participate in the electoral process without let or hindrance.
5) Politicians from Southern Kaduna were called upon to build structures and build bridges across the various zones of the State in order to set up a formidable political machinery capable of enhancing the prospects of the zone producing the governor of the State. Furthermore, elected public officers, including government’s appointees, should demonstrate greater interest in the affairs of the area by ensuring that they carry the interest of their communities along.
6) The Summit called on the people of Southern Kaduna to develop capacities and skills in various fields of human endeavours in order to meet up with modern challenges of economic development. The future of our people, participants insisted, cannot be realised without deploying effective capacities and skills that can move our people away from the backwaters of underdevelopment to realising our full potentials.
7) The Meeting applauded the much-admired peace disposition of the Southern Kaduna People and called on them to broaden the frontiers of unity, including reaching out to other zones, in order to engender collaboration, unity and development. Finally, participants commended the selfless efforts of our elders, clerics and politicians in various communities who are working tirelessly for peace and development.
Barr. Mark Jacob
Simon Reef Musa